Throughout the house:
1. Open the draperies, pull up the shades, and let the sunlight in.
2. Create a positive mood. Turn on all lights, day or night, and install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly
3. Remove clutter from each room to visually make them look bigger
4. If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating
5. Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times
6. Replace the carpet if it does not clean up well.
7. Have a family “game plan” to get the home in order quickly if necessary.
8. Air out your home for one half-hour before showings, if possible.
9. Lightly spray the house with “Febreeze” 30 minutes prior to buyers arrival, so it has a chance to diffuse before they arrive.
10. Put family photos in storage.
11. Improve traffic flow through every room by removing unnecessary furniture
12. Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorative accents and removing unnecessary furniture
13. Putty over and paint any nail holes or other mishaps in the walls
14. Paint all interior walls a neutral color to brighten the home and make it look bigger.
15. Repair or replace any loose or damaged wallpaper
16. Clean all light bulbs and light fixtures to brighten the home
17. Wash all windows inside and out
18. Use plants in traditional areas of your house
19. Make the most of your attic’s potential
20. Remove and/or hide excess extension cords and exposed wires
21. Open doors to areas you want potential buyers to see such as walk-in closets, pantries, attics etc.
22. Remove all smoke and pet odors
23. Repair or replace all banisters and handrails.
In the Kitchen
24. Microwave a small dish of vanilla twenty minutes before a showing and then hide the dish
25. Highlight an eat in area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner
26. The kitchen and bathrooms should always be spotlessly clean
27. Expand your counter space by removing small appliances In the Bedrooms
28. Create a master suite effect in your decorating
29. Depersonalize the bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme
30. Make sure the beds are made and linens are clean
31. Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage
In the Bathroom
32. Do not leave towels around and wipe down the sinks and shower area after each use
33. Re-caulk the tub if the caulk is not sparkling white
34. Repair or replace broken tiles in shower/tub
35. Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps
37. Keep the yard mowed and raked at all times
38. Use flowering plant to dress up the yard, walkway, and patio
39. Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture, and trash from the yard
40. Porches, steps, verandas balconies etc. should be kept uncluttered, swept and in good condition.
41. Paint all entrance doors
42. Make sure the garage door opens easily and fix if necessary.
43. Clean and shine all hardware and accessories indoors and out (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mailbox etc.)
44. Trees and shrubs should be trimmed and pruned
45. Use a new doormat
46. Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order
47. Be sure the front door and screen works perfectly.